Re: Please do not distribute buggy libfreetype6 in gnome2.2 for woody

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:04, Eglė Kriaučiūnienė wrote:
> Hi,

hi

> After some searching in debian mailing list I decided to downgrade
> libfreetype6 from version 2.1.3-10woody1, that I found in gnome2.2 for
> woody (http://mirror.raw.no/gnome2.2/newfreetype/) to version 2.0.9-1
> from debian stable. After downgrade gaim crashes disappeared.
>
> Please don't distribute buggy libfreetype6 - maybe latest version from
> debian unstable doesn't contain this bug ?

This issue has already been addressed.  See:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice/2003/debian-openoffice-200304/msg00058.html

(it was also posted to debian-user and I believe this list).  In short,
it is no longer distributed as part of the backport.

> Or maybe problem is in some other packages, for example libxft2 or
> fontconfig packages is newer on debian unstable, than in gnome 2.2 for
> woody.

The versions of libxft2, fontconfig and libxrender are all from
fcpackage 2.1 (older, does not require newer X or freetype).  freetype
is now from woody 2.0.9.

> Also I've noticed, that gaim displays these warnings in console, when I
> move mouse cursor over url in gaim chat:
>
> ** (gaim:28229): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Fixed 10
>
> ** (gaim:28229): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font ClearlyU 10
>
> ** (gaim:28229): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Fixed 10

Perhaps this is a fontconfig issue; I don't see the problem here.
Others can answer better, but check /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.

> Btw, why some packages depends on libxrender1 library, but other -
> don't? I think if nautilus-cd-burner, galeon and epiphany-browser depend
> on this library, mozilla-broser or mozilla-xft should depend too.

Yes.  libxrender1.1 is a package I created to address the deficiencies
in libxft2 and fontconfig from sid at the time.  It is from the same
sources as those two packages (ie, from fcpackage).  Because it was not
a standard package in sid, I decided to not make it a requirement in the
backported mozilla packages.  Since mozilla-xft is prone to crashes
without it, I will probably fix that dependency.  Sid now has a
libxrender1, but it is different from this package (it is from fcpackage
2.2 IIRC)..

As for nautilus-cd-burner, I don't distribute it as part of the
backport, and epiphany-browser I have backported, but it is not part of
the official backport.  As such, I am not sure what your point is on
them.

Jamie

--
James Strandboge