HELP! keyboard not fully woking with gtk applications

I have a problem with some keys under X11 and gtk applications.

Some characters, which are not printed on my keboard (~ and | for instance),
are unaccessible with gtk applications such as mozilla or gedit.

They work perfectly on other X applications such as emacs or xterm.

For instance I mapped the ~ on Mod1+n (Mod1 being the apple key on my tibook
keyboard) with the following line in my Xmodmap :

keycode 57 = n N asciitilde dead_tilde

Under Mozilla when I type Apple+n I get some menu open and not the tilde sign.

Under xterm I get the right behavior.

Any idea how I can get rid of this very annoying problem ?

---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use an Apple Powerbook G4 1Ghz with Superdrive with a french keyboard (hand
made Xmodmap adapted for french keyboard)

I use a Debian sid installation with upgrade made this week

I use a home compiled kernel based on benh patch :

	Linux version 2.4.20-ben10bbb1 (root@watney) \
	(gcc version 3.2.3) \
	#1 Tue May 13 18:41:40 CEST 2003

I use the DRI trunk X11 server from people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk :

	XFree86 Version 4.2.99.2 (DRI trunk) / X Window System

I use WindowMaker as window manager without any desktop environment (no GNOME
no KDE).

--
-- Bruno