Re: Xlib- Prob

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 02:50, Stefan Kohn wrote:
> Hi Matt,...
>
> i'm using Gnome 2.2 from the Backport and the apt-get update Output is:
>
> The following packages have been kept back
>   fontconfig libfontconfig1 libfontconfig1-dev libxft2 libxft2-dev
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5  not upgraded.
> Need to get 32.9kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

These packages are absolutely required to run gnome2, but based on what
you sent, it looks like you already have them.  How long have you been
using the backport?  If for a while and this is the first apt-get
upgrade you have done in a while, I downgraded the libfreetype
dependency so that the backport would be installable with the
semi-official openoffice.org.

dpkg --purge --force-depends libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev freetype2
freetype2-demos
rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*freetype*
apt-get update && apt-get -f install

and restarting gnome should fix the dependency problem.

Your xserver needs to support the RENDER extension as well.  Do:

xdpyinfo|grep RENDER

it should return 'RENDER'.  If not, before launching gnome, try doing
'export GDK_USE_XFT=0' before running startx.  If it is just
gnome-terminal, try doing 'export VTE_USE_XFT2=0'.  gnome-terminal will
be pretty slow like this, but it should work.  If you use gdm, just put
the above into /etc/environment.

You can also find additional info here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2003/debian-laptop-200303/msg00115.html

Jamie