compiling battstat-applet for gnome2

Hi there,

the battstat-applet eats 10% of my CPU time, I want to play around with
it to find out where it spends that time and maybe resolve the issue.
But I am not even able to compile the source package for Gnome2. The
precompiled binary runs fine, but everytime I compile it, it complains
that the gnome panel is not running.

I am compiling the applet with the following steps:

$ apt-get source battstat-applet
$ cd battstat-applet-2.0.13
$ ./configure
$ make
$ src/battstat_applet
The GNOME panel is not running.

I suppose it is looking for the old panel from 1.4, but I am not able to
compile it as Gnome2 applet. This is a sarge/sid mix and the README
states, that the applet is tested with gnome 1.2.1 .. Am I missing
something here?

I weren't able to find something on google or in the archives, it would
be preciated if anyone could shed some light on this or point me to
relevant information.

tia
Stefan