magicdev and gnome 2.0

   I was wondering what the situation was with GNOME 2.0 and
automounting programs like magicdev. I noticed that there
is a option in the preferences for GNOME 2.0 to automatically
mount CDs but am not sure what other utilities are required.
It would seem that should be magicdev but that isn't part of
the official GNOME sources. Are they developing and alternative
to magicdev? If not are we going to add magicdev to Debian?
Thanks in advance for any clarifications.
                                   Jack