Re: GNOME Policy, draft 0.0.0.1

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 13:37, Christian Marillat wrote:
> > Panel applets -- "gnome-applet-foo" or "foo-applet"? If the applet is
> > a binary, these are not directly executable so should be installed
> > into /usr/lib/gnome-panel. If the applet is a shared object, also
> > install it into /usr/lib/gnome-panel, as another program cannot
> > directly link to it.
>
> Is /usr/lib/<package> a better solution ?

I'm not sure.  An applet is generally only a single shared object so
this would lead to lots of folders, with a single .so in. That's why I
though we should keep them together in /usr/lib/gnome-panel. Otherwise
we'll have the same problem of /usr/lib being over-crowded, but with
folders instead of .so files.

> gtk-doc should be disabled by default with
> '--disable-gtk-doc'. Otherwise the Debian diff become quickly big and
> share unneeded files.

Why is this?  Surely if any files are left after a clean, this is a bug
and should be fixed/worked around.

> > it will be installed into /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/foo.  This should be
> > moved into /usr/share/doc at build time, either by manually moving it
> > or by using the --with-html-dir=... argument to ./configure which many
> > packages support.
> If I remember correctly this doesn't work, because the package name is
> added after '--with-html-dir=' definition, and package need to me moved
> by hand in the debian/rules

I'll check this and add some notes, thanks.

> > postinst:
> >         scrollkeeper-update -q
>
> Should depends on scrollkeeper (>= 0.3.8) the -q option has been added
> since 0.3.8

Thanks, I did not know this.

> > Currently, Debian has no XML catalogue.  This means that when
> > Scrollkeeper is used to register user documentation, it will try and
> > connect to the Internet and download a DTD. As a temporary measure,
> > replace the URL with a absolute path.
>
> > TODO: example sed script.
>
> find -name *.xml -exec perl -i -pe 's,http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd,/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd,' {} \ ;
> find -name *.omf -exec perl -i -pe 's,http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net/dtds/scrollkeeper-omf-1.0/scrollkeeper-omf.dtd,/usr/share/xml/scrollkeeper/dtds/scrollkeeper-omf.dtd,' {} \;
>
> Should be added before the ./configure call otherwise the make install
> target will try to connect to the internet when calling scrolkeeper-update.

I had written this script but was missing the OMF sed, thanks.

I'll mail a revised draft in a minute.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com