Re: GNOME Policy, draft 0.0.0.1

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:26:52AM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:

> The documentation of a program should be included in the binary
> package, unless it is large, in which case a separate -doc package is
> acceptable. Mention the -doc package in Debian.README. Install
> documentation in /usr/share/doc/package/, and include doc-base and
> .dhelp files.

This doesn't belong into the GNOME policy, since it's already part of
the main Debian policy.

> The documentation of a library should be generated with a tool such as
> gtk-doc or doxygen at package build time, and either included in the
> -dev package if it is small, or in a separate -doc package. DEFINE
> SMALL.

Just say "reasonably small" and leave the decision at the maintainer's
discretion. We don't need to be super-exact.

> When gconftool supports it, the prerm script should also un-apply the
> schemas. This is currently unimplemented however.

Shouldn't this only be done when a package is purged?

> TODO: I plan to write a dh_gconfschema helper which will auto-generate
> the relevant postinst/prerm scripts.

That would be great!

> Always remember to update the config.{guess|sub} files at build-time,
> see the documentation in /usr/share/doc/autotool-dev for
> details. Don't forget to build-depend on autotools-dev.

Don't put this into the GNOME policy. This belongs into the Best
Packaging Practices document.

 - Sebastian