Re: CALL FOR HELP : Porting to windows from Debian GNU/Linux Mingw32, status report http://introspector.sourceforge.net/dia_win32.htm

--- Robert Collins <robert.collins@syncretize.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 03:49, James Michael DuPont wrote:

> > 3. Changes to the dpkg port for cygwin that handles to permissions
> > properly. Currently I cannot install the debs under cygwin because
> of
> > permissions.
>
> I maintain that port/cygwin-package, and am happy to accept / review
> relevant patches.
>
> I need to update it to current dpkg quite badly too - which I'll do
> when
> I get some time.

Time is a problem for me as well, because my windows/cygwin time is
very limited. I dont have a cygwin test env at home.

 But have heard that some people have gotten it running under wine?

the problem has been the dpkg and the chmod, it was not able to install

the package because of some settings. I will send you a bug report next
week when i am back in the office.

I would like to be able to help patch dpkg, i think first we need to
get the architecture sorted out :

we need two architectures :
1. dpkg on window/cygwin
2. dpkg on debian/gnu running under wine
3. dpkg on debain/gnu with no wine, but compiling for windows

I am running on variant 2, compiling under dpkg for the debian
GNU/linux architecture so the packages can be installed and run under
wine.

And that is the problem, the packages have to be renamed so that they
dont conflict with existing packages.

The best would be do clean up the architectures and make it more
flexible.. any ideas?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont