Re: A quick upgarde report

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 14:38, Stephen Gran wrote:

> I just upgraded a box from woody to sid.  This box had 3 user accounts
> with Gnome 1.4 as their WM/DE.  All 3 passed throught the upgrade with
> minimal pain, thanks to your hard work on the upgrade scripts.

Cool, it's great to hear stuff like this!  Only getting bug report after
bug report tends to make one's viewpoint a bit pessimistic :)

> (consistent - all 3) clock on panel lost after upgrade
>             gmc didn't interface very neatly with the newer sawfish or
>             gnome-session - scrapped and replaced with nautilus.  Much
>             better.

Hmm...well, we have an attempt to transition from the 57 clocks
available in GNOME 1.4, but apparently you chose one not in the list...

And gmc should have been automatically transitioned to nautilus.  Can
you send me the contents of your ~/.gnome/session ?

> (common - 2 out of 3) lost workspace switcher (I believe because of the
>             change from viewports to workspaces, although the users fixed
>             it before I investigated)

Not sure about this one.

>             Reported loss of other applets (slashdot applet, weather
>             applet, keyboard switcher app)  At least the slashdot applet
>             going missing seems to be because it is indeed, no longer
>             available.  I am unclear on why the others disappeared,
>             although there are no problems after adding them back in.

Most of these can be fixed.  If you'd like to add support for your
favorite applet, just have a look at
/usr/share/gnome-session/debian/gnome-panel-1-to-2.  It shouldn't be too
hard to add support, I just kind of stopped after getting the "core"
applets done.  I would love to get patches for more.  If you (or anyone
else reading this list) would like a quick and easy way help out Debian
and GNOME, this would be a good choice.

Thanks again for the report!