Re: Missing gnome-edit wrapper under GNOME 2

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 03:03:53 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Probably just change the default entry to 'do the right thing' in Debian
> in the mean time.

Hmm... perhaps the best thing would be to extend sensible-editor a bit:
- call $XEDITOR if it's set and $DISPLAY is set
- otherwise, assume that the editor needs a terminal
- if we're connected to a terminal, do the current sensible-editor behaviour
  (based on $VISUAL and $EDITOR)
- if not connected to a terminal, do the same but using "x-terminal-emulator -e"

The disadvantage of this would be that you should set $XEDITOR if you are
using an editor like gvim that doesn't require a terminal to prevent a
useless terminal emulator from popping up. The advantage would be that it is
just about backward compatible with current sensible-editor behaviour and
also allows one to use a terminal-dependent editor (say plain vim) even when
invoking sensible editor outside of a terminal (e.g. from a GNOME
application or applet).

Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau wrote:
>So if that's the case, what do we do with "Desktop Preferences ->
>Advanced -> Preferred Applications -> Text Editor"?

We could have that default to sensible-editor then.

Ray
--
Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.