Re: gnome-vfs-extras2 smb support unusable

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 23:47, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 18:32, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > 0.99.8 should work fine as well. There's currently 0.99.10 in Fedora, as
> > the 0.99.11 suffered from libsmbclient's youth at the time of release.
> > The current CVS HEAD version should work much better, but that's for
> > GNOME 2.6.
>
> Is 0.99.12 the 2.6-headed version?

Yes.

> > BTW, filing bugs and sending an e-mail 10 minutes afterwards complaining
> > of having not received a response is a bit droll.
>
> I filed 119172 on August 5, 2003 and received some response on October
> 30 of the same year.

Huh? Alex filed this bug when the new libsmbclient-based code had just
been merged. And it took 9 days for me to push it upstream from the
point when you updated it.

> That's what I mean when I say unresponsive.

The code at the time wasn't suitable for bug fixing of any kind, it was
was a gigantic cut'n'paste and not maintainable. That's why I spent time
rewriting it using the libsmbclient API.

> > About being unresponsive, I also have other things I'm working on, and I
> > only have so much time for hacking on Free Software. Still, I can only
> > see 9 bugs opened in bugzilla.gnome.org and only a few of them could be
> > labelled as show-stoppers.
>
> Such as 119172. Still, I'm not upset at you for not fixing it, but when
> I filed 119172 the state of the bugs list was horrific. Nothing was ever
> fixed or even maintained in bugzilla.

See above. Unless you became a bug-fixing Swede, you didn't file this
bug.

> Now it looks like that's changing, which is good.
>
> > I'd really rather see patches and test cases than what looks like
> > uninformed e-mails like this one.
>
> Sigh.

Dude, I should be the one sighing. Try to earn the "developer" of Debian
developer. For the other packages I have in Debian and for which I'm
upstream (or one of the upstream like in this case), the developers are
trying to do some investigation before jumping on their high horses and
are polite to me.

You're accusing me of not wanting to look into the bugs, when all I did
was teasing a user that didn't even take the time to see that it was
actually a bug from an underlying library.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
She was as easy as the Daily Star crossword.