Re: Summary: How to fix the gnome startup issues

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the summary. I still have the foobared user account on my
system and will try your steps to see if I can figure out exactly what
my problem was. The fact that I could logon to Gnome as other users
seems to indicate that #1 was not the problem on my box.

It depends. Remember that you can have a .gtkrc file in your $HOME pointing to some theme somewhere in your hard drive. I have noticed that a .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 file always gets created (and I don't know where it comes from yet), but that's harmless. Now, if somebody could explain why this file is there... it only has the line "include $HOME/$UID/.gtkrc.mime" (of course, not the environmental variables but the real thing). In my case, I setup a gtkrc file in /etc/gtk-1.2 and /etc/gtk-2.0 to point to my favorite theme (Nuvola) so that all applications for all users look and feel the same. Users can always put those files in their own $HOMEs and point to other themes if they wanted to...

So, just make sure that you don't have a .gtkrc* or .themes* directory that is setting something in your profile (the one that you cannot login with). I hope that we will get to some kind of solution that always works and we can move on to actually use Gnome without worrying about these pesky bugs.

Thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.
http://www.knowmad.com

Luis Mondesi
System Administrator
LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1@hotmail.com

"...The Mac does this so smoothly, it feels like an extension of your mind." - Paula Speer, MacWorld Magazine 2003-04

Public signature: http://www.latinomixed.com/lems1/public-a.asc

MSN Messenger : discutez en direct avec vos amis ! http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp