Re: background in gnome 2.4

Julien wrote:
Le Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:23:26 +0100
Jens Bech Madsen <jbm@oncable.dk> a écrit:

Hardly surprising when you don't run nautilus :-)

If you want Gnome to draw your desktop, you need to run Nautilus.
That's the way it is done in Gnome.

I think it's wrong. We do not need to have Nautilus installed and
running to be running Gnome 2. That's my case, i use ROX for my file
manager and nothing for my desktop (don't want and don't need icons on
it). I don't see why i must have Nautilus running to be able to easily
draw a background on my desktop.

I use ROX also, and let it draw my background. It does it nicely. I think your argument doesn't hold. Even if you don't want icons on the desktop, you may want a nice picture or color. ROX can do that, or nautilus. I have not nautilus running but a nice background.

But this argument isn't that good, it's for my special case. Let's see a
better one : setting my background image is done with a Gnome
preference, not a Nautilus one. I do not need nautilus to be able to set
it. Why should i have to be running Nautilus for it to be set or
changed ?!

If Nautilus is the mechanism to do it for Gnome it's OK to have a config Option that is easily accessible. It would be nice if ROX or other Desktop managers took the settings into account. It's not Nautilus fault that it does the right thing.

So, if nautilus is launched, it should take care of the background, if
not, Gnome should take care of it. Just like it was in Gnome 2.2

The one problem is, that the session manager keeps starting nautilus a relaunch application and one has to revert that all the time to normal.

I have switched Nautilus background handling off for that single reason.

* André