Re: Same thing on GNOPPIX 0.60 (Was: Re: gnome not working properly onpowerpc te

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 03:13, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> The gsfonts-other should be completely over. I've been reported other
> issues with musixtex fonts, but haven't found time to track down the
> bug. All I can say is this is probably another freetype bug.

I was having similar issues, and after removing and reinstalling nearly
everything, I decided to build freetype myself.  While doing this, I got
an error about not finding fontconfig dev files.  Anyway, after some
digging, I found that I had some old fontconfig libraries sitting in
/usr/X11R6/lib, which were much earlier than the ones in /usr/lib.  My
guess is that the libs were either conflicting, or the old ones were
chosen since they were the first found.  Once I removed all the
fontconfig files I found in /usr/X11R6/lib (and making sure I didn't
need them), everything worked just fine.
I have no idea why there were fontconfig libs in there maybe from an old
install that didn't clean up after itself, or maybe from some part of
the unstable xfree, since I'm using the experimental 4.3.1 packages.
Perhaps in the future the fontconfig package can check for orphans in
/usr/X11R6/lib.

-Chris