gnome not working properly on powerpc testing or unstable

Brendan J Simon wrote:

Ludovic Aubry wrote:

I'm trying to run Gnome 2.2 on a PowerBook 17" running Debian Testing. It runs really slow and the panel never shows. The only way I can get X running is to start up an xterm and then run sawfish manually. I've tried running "gnome-session -failsafe" mannually and it is so slow. The splash screen takes a long time though recently it seems to be faster. Then it takes a long while for the icons in the splash screen to be displayed. Finally sawfish fires up and that is it. But I don't have the panel and the sawfish menus don't allow me to fire up apps, not even an xterm. HELP!!!

I had a similar problem on an iBook with sid, some time ago.
I think I solved it by disabling fam

I don't think I've got fam installed. Maybe thtat's the problem but if so then the dependencies are not quite right. I have libfam0c102 installed but not the fam daemon. I might try installing that and see how I go.

I installed gnome from unstable and it does the same thing. The splash screen comes up straight away and then just sits there. Eventually sawfish appears but that is after a long delay.

Is it something with my X server or possible something with my kernel. Maybe I need a particular module loaded (eg. sound or something). I am using XF86 v 4.3.0 from experimental. I need > 4.3 to support my hardware.

Cheers,
Brendan Simon.