Re: Unified SystemTools Menu and Synaptic

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 02:14:26PM +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> At the moment we use the categories "GNOME;Application;Settings;System;"
> in the Synaptic desktop file.
>
> What unified categories should be used in Debian for Gtk/Gnome system
> tools?

I think Synaptic Package Manager should be in System, not in desktop preferences menu, like gnome-system-tools. Nor I, nor any of my acquintances never undertand why package management is Destop preference.

Andrew Lau <netsnipe@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>Would we be breaking any taboos if were to create a "Debian Tools" or
>"Debian System Tools" category under Applications? System Tools is
>getting a bit crowded in my honest opinion.

"Debian Tools" or "Debian System tools" is a bad idea. People never understand why package management is in Debian Tools, but other management tools, for example "User Management" is in "System Tools". I think is not user friendy to add Distribution-Specific menu names, only generic names, like Education (for gcompris and other educational software from http://wiki.debian.net/DebianEdu project.

System Tools is crowded, because contains some stuff, that belongs to Actions menu, for example "New login", "New login in a nested window",
"Run as a different user (GKsu)" and "Format floppy"

Look at this post for more info:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2003/debian-gtk-gnome-200310/msg00373.html

I think there will be enough place for Synaptic if this stuff will be moved from System Tools menu to Actions menu.

--

Good luck,
Egle Kriaučiūnienė <eglyte@centras.lt>