RE: New dependences in gnome-core, might be better in gnome?

> From: debian-gtk-gnome-request@lists.debian.org
> Both Christian and I dislike the new gnomemeeting dependency
> in particular, because it depends on lots of libraries

It's difficult to build, but that's the great thing about packages, I hope.

> and
> I'm sure the amount of Debian GNOME users that actually use
> Gnomemeeting or even own a webcam is a small percentage.

You don't need a webcam to use it. Lots of people have microphones (almost
every laptop for instance). Anyway, it's in GNOME Desktop. The decision's
been made. And it's very likely to become very popular for Internet
Telephony.

> > maybe there could be a better setup like so:
> >
> > Package         Contents
> > -------         --------
> > gnome-core      any essential GNOME related libraries etc...

Ideally, that would be "gnome-platform" to avoid confusion:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.3/modules/
Or that should at least be mentioned in the description.

> > gnome-desktop   all the apps that are actually part of the
> GNOME desktop
> > gnome-apps      other apps that are not in the desktop release

Just having gnome-fifth-toe would simplify things. It's kind of an extra
release set. Then you'd be dealing with a well-defined list of modules:
http://5toe.lyrical.net/
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/fifth-toe/2.4/2.4.0/sources/

> > gnome           all three above.

I'm a very recent user of debian, but I think that the "gnome" name here is
misleading. When people say "GNOME" they generally mean the GNOME Desktop. I
wouldn't want people to think that any old dodgy app was representative of
GNOME itself. "gnome-yet-more"?

But I don't think it's very useful anyway to have a group of apps that are
grouped purely by the fact that they happen to depend on GNOME.

> What I had proposed to Christian was creating "gnome-office"
> (#178536) and "gnome-fifth-toe" packages.

Yes, please.

> Given the amount of
> concern the new deps is causing on users, I think we need to
> make some decision to move parts of gnome-core to gnome.

What kind of problems are there actually, apart from difficulties of
packaging gnome-meeting dependencies in the first place? Does anybody really
have too little disk space for zenity? I think we'll have bigger problems if
debian confuses people about what is GNOME and what's not.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc@usa.net