gdm startup in testing

I upgraded my debian / testing version. Now, gdm hangs when it starts. The behavior is very much the same as described in bug 216718/216855. The problem is, the temporary fixes proposed by Christian Marillat and Josselin Mouette do not seem to apply. Although, I suspect they are both very good advice for SID.

Christian recommends the temporary solution of removing /var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d/H/*. I do not have that directory, I assume it is not in testing but is in unstable.

Josselin recommends removing the package gsfonts-other. This package is not in my install, again I assume that is the version.

As a user that knows enough to get into the deep end, and then quickly drown, a few questions:

1. Should I open another bug for this? The same symptoms are reported in 216718/216855 but the version appears to be different. I do not mind doing this but do not care to create noize in the bug database.

2. Is this the appropriate forum for this question?

3. Is there another fix, albeit temporary?

Thanks!

Tom Lamm