Re: shutdown from gnome logout dialog

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 21:53, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > ... it gives me doubt. Really, since ever that this feature has been
> > proposed or requested on this list, it was opposed and said to be not
> > the right way, and now that it is implemented in what was said to be the
> > right way, it should not be applied, even in experimental ? And then,
> > redhat has had this feature for years, altough implemented differently,
> > so is there some hidden agenda here ?
>
> Sure, it's a good feature to have in a debian system, very useful and
> all. But the way I see it, this could lead to debian packages becoming
> developers playground, with maintainers (and others) adding feature of
> the week randomly into unstable packages, just because they find it
> useful.
> IMHO, debian is more about packaging than about coding per se. Such a
> feature should go upstream. Now, it may be decided that proper shutdown
> at logout is essential for debian to have. But it should stay relatively
> exceptional.

That's with attitudes like that that Debian can't get any decent
integration at the desktop level.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the
grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left
York at 6:36 p.m. travelling at 55 mph, the other from Peterborough at
4:19p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.