G-Session&Panel:Settings Daemon & Bonobo-activation probs ...

Hi,
   when trying to start 'gnome-session' [as root or user] I get
adam@Tux:~$ gnome-session
SESSION_MANAGER=local/Tux:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1732
Audio File Library: could not open file '/usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav' [error 3]

** (gnome-session:1732): WARNING **: Couldn't load sound file /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav

(gnome-session:1732): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 644 (gdk_draw_drawable): assertion `src != NULL' failed

(gnome-session:1732): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 644 (gdk_draw_drawable): assertion `src != NULL' failed
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

(gnome-session:1732): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 644 (gdk_draw_drawable): assertion `src != NULL' failed Couldn't access Debian Stage 1 upgrade file "/home/adam/.gnome2/debian-upgrade-stage-1": No such file or directory

I can't find file 'gdkdraw.c' on my system ...

Tux:~/# find -name gdkdraw.c -print
Tux:~/#

I also get the message ..
"There was an error starting the GNOME settings Daemon.
Some things such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.
The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFID:Gnome_Settings Daemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the settings Daemon next time you log in."
...to no effect. All gnome fonts suddenly became minimal
- giving me persistent eye-strain after large accessibility fonts.

I had heard of problems due to mixing of Gnome 1.x and 2.x libraries,
but assumed this had been overcome. I don't know it that is relevant here.

Also, trying 'gnome-panel' [as root or user] I get
"(1) : There was a problem registering the panel with the
bonobo-activation server.
The error code is 1.
The panel will now exit [OK]"

"(2): Failed to activate 'OAFID:Gnome Settings Daemon'
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you login. [OK]" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I submitted a bug report to Gnome but received a reply
that it was a .deb packaging problem and that I should use the
Debian bug reporting system. The Gnome
maintainer said that 'gnome-system-monitor' was showing
'NOGNOME' or 'NOTGNOME' - I think the latter. I've lost the original.

I then submitted a bug report on the Debian tracking system, fixed one
misplaced file which allowed me to (finally) upgrade,
and was directed to this list by the maintainer.

I'm heartened that it seems I'm not the only one having this problem.
It seems to be with the 'gnome settings daemon' and the 'bonobo-activation
server'.

What is the fix ? Eye-strain is an increasingly serious problem for me.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz