Re: Gnome2.2 backport and XFree86 4.3 on woody [was R:e XFree86 4.3 in Woody]

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:44:51AM -0700, Michael Bennett Cohn wrote:
> James,
>
> Please explain the relationship between what you're saying here, and the info appearing at http://www.linuxcompatible.org/print20707.html, which was apparently posted quite recently, and which suggests different changes to sources.list, and gives different instructions.
>
> mbc
>
> On 19 Aug 2003 20:20:53 -0400
> James Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 00:44, Michael Bennett Cohn wrote:
> >
> > I am taking this to a public forum so others can (hopefully) benefit.
> >
> > > James,
> > >
> > > I know you're not responsible for backporting xfree86. It seems to me, however, that all the
> >
> > > discussion of your project in relation to xfree86, in various threads, even some you're
> >
> > > apparently not involved in, like the one at
> >
> > > http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/debian/user/2003/03/msg01356.html, is not so much about
> >
> > > trying to make your backport work with other backports, but about trying to make it work to begin
> >
> > > with.
> > >
> > That is not quite accurate.  Woody ships with xfree86 4.1.  libxft2 is
> > required by gnome2.2, and appears first in xfree86 4.2 (again, not in
> > official woody).  xfree86 4.3 has an upgraded freetype that is
> > incompatible with woody.  As such, people trying to install the gnome2.2
> > backport on standard woody need to upgrade xfree86 to 4.2, and not 4.3.

Would it not be better to rebuild the gnome 2.2 backport together with a
backport of branden's unofficial 4.3 packages ? I seriously doubt that
it is wise to continue to stay with an XFree release that is more than
18 month old, and doesn't support lots of modern graphic cards. Also,
gnome 2.2 was released, if i am not wrong, on almost the same timeframe
as X 4.3 was released, so i seriously doubt that it is incompatible, or
at least that early incompatibilities have not been fixed since.

So either it should run with 4.1 as present in woody, or go all the way
and work with a backport of the 4.3 packages.

Not that it is all that important, since we will have a sarge release
soon now :)))

Friendly,

Sven Luther