Re: baffled by gnome font problem

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 07:42:35PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> gnome-settings-daemon probably makes the difference, it makes the GNOME
> settings take effect. It sounds like the GNOME font (or whatever)
> settings are somehow messed up for some users. If this doesn't help you
> track down the problem, a screenshot might be interesting indeed.

It _is_ gnome-settings-daemon. A screenshot is at

   http://mafalda.homelinux.net/~john/broken-gnome.jpg

showing metacity started before the gnome-settings-daemon, and then
starting gnome-session. That thing in the top half of the screen is
the run dialog. This is with .gconf*, .gnome*, and .gtk* copied from a
user where things work.

--
John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
  Our similarities are different. -Dale Berra, son of Yogi