Re: XD2 for debian woody

Le ven 01/08/2003 à 10:25, Ghe Rivero a écrit :
> Hi people!
>
> 	Sorry for my delayed, but my access to inet in the last days is really
> limited.
You're welcome.

> El vie, 01-08-2003 a las 01:33, Roberto Majadas escribió:

> > > I know all that.
> > > I was wondering if you planned to make some Ximian patches (the ones
> > > that could be accepted anyway) available in Debian or just a
> > > quick-and-dirty packaging effort.
> > >

> > Quick yes , dirty not :) . We need this packages for serveral reasons.
> > We use debian and metadistros for to show linux , debian and free
> > software to the people. We can show debian woody with gnome1.4 :). And
> > we can wait to the next release of debian, because we need a metadistro
> > with a beatiful desktop on 15th september 2001, because we ha a national
> > conference of linux users (in spain) on 23,24,25 september. This year
> > may be can come to the conference 2000 persons or more. And we have more
> > events along this year as important as the other one.
>
> 	Other reason is the installation of 300 WorkStations with Debian in my
> university. Of course, i'm going to install Debian, but the desktops
> that came with Woody are not the best ones (For me are really cool, but
> not for students that the only thing that know about linux is the
> "fucking, stupid and fat penguin")
Ok, I undestand better now.
But why not put an effort to help the quick release of Sarge instead?
Or at least, help the maintainers of some packages to get the latest
releases from Sid into Sarge?
I lately personally involved myself in the backport of GNOME 2.2 with
James Strandboge, and I'm already commited with the Debian packages of
OOo for a long time (one year or so, since the beginning).

> > > Could you ask him?
>
> 	We (Just me for the moment) are taking the port of Gnome2.2 for Woody
> like the base, and just applying the patches and recompiling the
> packages (actually it is not so easy). We want to change the Woody base
> as little as possible, so we are downgrouding some dependencies (as
> debhelper, and things like that). Apart of this, we are using the ports
> of Branden XFree4.2 packages for Woody for the moment (deb
> http://people.debian.org/~frankie/debian woody/x421/) but we are waiting
> to a realase of 4.3.
About the dependencies, just take a look at how many bug reports I
submitted to lower the dependencies versions in official packages when
it was not necessary.
For the debhelper question, on the contrary, I was finally convinced
that using a backported debhelper is mandatory, because of the new cdbs
which is used in newer packages in Sid. I just had a discussion about it
with James a few days ago and concluded it wasn't worth.

A thing that needs work, I think, is the integration of Ximian patches
to OOo. I just started yesterday with this, you can find more
information here: http://glasnost.beeznest.org/rubrics/12.

I know exactly what you mean when you say it's not that easy. I think we
should work together, because we are doing similar things. How could we
do that? Should we create a mailing-list or what? I can provide that if
needed (on http://glasnost.beeznest.org or on http://www.bxlug.be).
James, what do you think, do you jump too?

--
Jérôme Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>