toolbar icon size

Is there a way to decrease the icon size of tool bars.  There does not appear to be an option in any of the dialogs.  I attempted to change it with gconf-editor but it would always crashed.  I was trying to change it with gconftool-2 but it seemed to have no effect.  I checked the %gconf.xml file in

/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/desktop/gnome/interface/

and it stated the toolbar_icon_size should hold integers, so I tried 0,1,2,3,9,12, neither of which helped.

Any suggestions, or should I just try again during the next release.

Thank you for your time.