apt-get and dselect want to upgrade gnome-panel to the same version

Hi,

I am the maintainer of the unofficial gnome2.2 backport for woody, and
am having problems packaging gnome-panel.  Here is what I did:

apt-get source gnome-panel (2.2.2.2-1 from sid sources)
modified debian/control to use libpng-dev instead of libpng3-dev
dch -i and changed the version number from 2.2.2.2-1 to 2.2.2.2-1jds1
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
su -c "dpkg -i ../*.deb"
The package builds and installs without errors

Then I scp these (debs, dsc, diff and orig) over to my web server, and
run dpkg-scanpackages:

cd /var/www/debian/woody
dpkg-scanpackages gnome2.2 /dev/null | gzip > ./gnome2.2/Packages.gz

No errors reported.

On the client, I do:
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

and gnome-panel is downloaded and installed without errors.  If I
'apt-get upgrade' again, gnome-panel is installed again.  It doesn't
matter how many times I upgrade, gnome-panel is never at the current
version (according to apt).

[james@sirius ~]$ apt-cache policy gnome-panel
gnome-panel:
  Installed: 2.2.2.2-1jds1
  Candidate: 2.2.2.2-1jds1
  Version Table:
     2.2.2.2-1jds1 0
        500 http://hedwig gnome2.2/ Packages
 *** 2.2.2.2-1jds1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.4.0.6-5 0
        500 http://208.185.25.38 stable/main Packages

Everything looks ok here.  Also, the other packages from the gnome-panel
source (eg gnome-panel-data) do not have this problem.

gnome-panel in sid does not appear to have this problem, so it doesn't
appear to be a bug in the package.  dpkg and apt are the same version on
all machines involved (from woody).  It also happens with dselect, so it
is not apt specific.

What am I doing wrong?

Jamie
--