Re: System Monitor Applet

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:52:37AM +1000, Andrew Lau wrote:
> > Does anybody have problems with running System Monitor Applet? I get
> > such message:
> >
> > "The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:
> > GNOME_MultiLoadApplet"
> >
> > Details: Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure
> > occured"
>
> Downgrade libgtop2 since 2.0.2-1 is missing files
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=libgtop2
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau
>
> BTW: Does anyone know if libgtop2 will be NMUed anytime soon? This bug
> could have been fixed days ago.

I contacted upstream, and he told me he has no time, please go ahead and
NMU, which i have the intention to do nextly.

Now, the problem was because libgtop2 changed so version number from
0.so.0.0.1 to 0.so.1.0.1 and the install target in debian/rules used
dh_movefiles, and thus these files were not copied to the .deb.

Now, this is a so version change, and even including these libraries
again doesn't fix the breakage. No problem i thought, just let's rebuild
the applets, which i did for hardware-monitor i package, but the problem
persists.

It would be nice if someone could help me out on this, since i really
didn't follow any of the soname/shared libs stuff, and the debian-policy
is not particularly helpfull here.

In particular, i have two questions :

  1) How do i tell the different maintainers of the libgtop2 using
  package that it should be rebuilt.

  2) If rebuilding the app is nbot enough, is there a particular other
  package that needs rebuilding so this get fixed ? All gnome packages
  maybe ?

Or if someone more competent with soanmes and shared library will do it,
please go ahead.

Mmm, it seems like libgtop2 library were built against the installed
version of the library and not the currently building version or
something such.

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgtop_common-2.0.so.0, needed by /usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgtop_sysdeps-2.0.so.0, needed by /usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so, not found (try using -rpath o r -rpath-link)
luther@iliana:~/debian/hardware-monitor/hardware-monitor-0.5/src$ ls -l /usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 2003-06-08 08:36 /usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so -> libgtop-2.0.so.1.0.1
luther@iliana:~/debian/hardware-monitor/hardware-monitor-0.5/src$ ldd /usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so
        libgtop_common-2.0.so.0 => not found
        libgtop_sysdeps-2.0.so.0 => not found
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4001a000)

BTW, my hardware-monitor applet doesn't build with gcc 3.3 anymore, it
fails with :

monitor-impls.cpp: Dans constructor « CpuUsageMonitor::CpuUsageMonitor(int) »:
monitor-impls.cpp:111: error: `assert' undeclared (first use this function)
monitor-impls.cpp:111: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
	once for each function it appears in.)

A quick glance at the gcc 3.3 page at the gnu site did not give me
anything conclusive. Short of simply commenting out all these asserts,
do someone know the right solution for this ? Should i just include
assert.h in the problematic files ? And if so, do i need to take care to
test for pre gcc-3.3 versions and conditionally include the include file ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther