Menus don't refresh with new apps

So I have finally gotten sick of it.  Something is causing the Gnome
menu to not refresh with the new shortcuts when I install new apps.  I
have to log out and back in to see the new icons. The Debian menu adds
the icons fine though.

However, when I remove an application, the icon disappears immediately.
I tried it with a fresh user and have the same symptons so it doesn't
seem to be a problem with my user configuration.

I looked through the list archives before and saw something about
removing extraneous files from /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/ but that
didn't help this at all.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this?  or suggestions on how else
to track it down?

--
Stephen Depooter
<sbdep@myrealbox.com>