evolution 1.4 preview on debian

Are there any packages?  I couldn't find any, so I tried to compile it
myself.

Problems that will probably evolve into dependencies, so if any Debian
developers are itching to package something, here's a place to start:
 - it wants libdb3 version 3.1.17 exactly, so I had to install that
   manually.
 - it wants the pkg-config library "soup-2.0", which is provided by
   neither Debian's "libsoup2" (0.5.14) nor "libsoup" (0.7.10).  The
   version on the Evolution website is 1.99.12, so I had to install that
   manually.
 - it wants files from the gtkhtml3 datadir, which Debian's gtkhtml3
   pkg-config data helpfully points at the non-existent directory
   /usr/share/gtkhtml-3.0/ (specifically, it's looking for "Editor.idl",
   which does exist in the Debian packages "gtkhtml-1.1" and "gtkhtml"
   but not in any gtkhtml3-related package).

And these may not be Debian's bugs:
 - there's some conflict between a header in libgal and an Evolution
   header.  they looked like they were both trying to prototype the same
   function.
 - /usr/share/idl/bonobo-activation-2.0/Bonobo_GenericFactory.idl,
   provided by the "bonobo-activation" package (I have 1:2.2.1.1-1)
   lacks an #endif at the end and fails to parse.

I gave up after I hit the gtkhtml3 problem, but it feels like I'm close
to making it work.

I'd be happy to report these as individual bugs, if anybody wants
(especialy the gtkhtml3 one, which looks like a packaging error, and
the bonobo-activation one which is definitely a bug somewhere).
I mostly collected the information to let you all know what our status
is.

--
      Evan Martin
martine@cs.washington.edu