Re: startup programs priority, notification area and gnomemeeting.

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 10:05, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:09:03AM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > BTW, i have a problem with gnomemeeting and the gnome notification area.
> > > Well various problems really.
> > >
> > > I launch gnomemeeting minimized in the notification area, but since both
> > > have the same priority, the gnomemeeting windows flashes quickly at
> > > startup and at shutdown, which is not nice. I have tried modifying the
> > > priority of gnomeeting to 55 or the one of the gnome notification area
> > > to 45, but none of this seem to survive a relaunch of gnome.
> > >
> > > Should the notification area not have a higher priority than the
> > > applications that will use it ?
> > >
> > > Also, i used to get two foot icons in the gnome splash screen, claiming
> > > to be gnomemeeting, why two, i don't know. I suppose that foot icons are
> > > used is a bug in gnomemeeting ?
> > >
> > > Now, since a few days, things went worse, now i have 6 foot icons in the
> > > splash screen, and apparently gnomemeeting is called multiple times
> > > (well at least two) since i get a dialog window telling me that it is
> > > already running and that i should use the -c option. I didn't change
> > > anything in the session preferences, and i have checked that
> > > gnomemeeting only appears one time in the programs to be launched at
> > > startup.
> >
> > You added gnome-meeting to the Startup programs ? Then it is launched
> > every time you log in, plus all the one saved from the previous session.
>
> Ok, ...
>
> > You should just launch gnome-meeting and save the session. No adding it
> > by hand in the startup programs.
>
> Is this not a bug in the session behavior ? Or should there not be a way
> to add a program to the default session ? Having to close all stuff
> except the wanted ones and then saving the session does hardly seem the
> most intuitive way of doing this for me.

There already is a way. Simply run the application, leave it running and
it will start automatically. What's complicated about that ?

> > Same applies to sawfish BTW.
>
> Definitively a counter-intuitive behavior.

Not really. It's clearly written in the Session properties that the
Startup programs tab is for *non-session managed* programs.

I launch a Perl script that updates the weather on my desktop in this
tab.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault