Re: Problem with default fonts.conf?

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 15:16, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> At least some of the recent font problems are caused by changes to
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf shipped with the fontconfig package.
>
> In fonts.conf from fontconfig 2.1.91-1, "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"
> has been replaced with "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1".  This prevents
> many standard fonts from being available to fontconfig applications.
>
> Before I file a bug, can anyone explain if this is known or intentional?

>From the comment in fontconfig's configure.in:

# Add more fonts if available.  By default, add only the directories
# with outline fonts; those with bitmaps can be added as desired in
# local.conf or ~/.fonts.conf

I'm guessing he did this so that only high-quality fonts are displayed
by default.  I'm neutral on this; if people would like to see bitmap
fonts in the default path then I'll add them.