Re: German 'umlaute' in gnome(-terminal)

Hi Havoc!

> > Gnome is in english but german characters display correct and I can
> > enter them so this is no real problem (but a solution would be nice
> > nevertheless).
>
> GNOME certainly shouldn't be in English, it has lots of German
> translations.

Yes I saw that.

> > A real problem is the gnome-terminal. I can't enter german characters
> > and they are displayed as '?'.
> > In the menubar Terminal -> Character Coding -> Current Locale is set to
> > ANSI_X3.4-1968. When I change that manually to ISO-8859-15 characters
> > display correct but I still can't enter them.
>
> ANSI-blahblah is the official name of ASCII. This means g-t is falling
> back to "C" locale.
>
> Are you sure there isn't anything on stderr, such as "locale not
> supported by C library"?

Is stderr redirected to a file ?
In ~/.gnome-error there are three different entries when I start a
gnome-terminal:

Repeated 4x:
(gnome-terminal:5032): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "pixmap",

One:
Window manager warning: Window 0x2400810 (Matthias S) sets SM_CLIENT_ID
on itself, instead of on the WM_CLIENT_LEADER window as specified in the
ICCCM.

Repeated quite often:
** (gnome-terminal:5032): WARNING **: No handler for control sequence
`device-control-string' defined.

> The symptoms sound like setlocale() fails.

Meanwhile I tried setting LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 but no change.

--
MfG Thomas Mueller - http://www.tmueller.com for pgp key (95702B3B)