abiword-common conflicts

Hello all,

I have not been able to install abiword from sid because of a Conflicts
control that has me stumped.

Running this:

  # apt-get -t unstable install abiword abiword-common

reports that abiword-common conflicts with abiword-{gnome,gtk}:

    abiword-common: Conflicts: abiword-gnome
                    Conflicts: abiword-gtk
  E: Sorry, broken packages

OK, fine. I understand that abiword-common now replaces those two. But
I've purged both of them!

  # dpkg -l abiword-{gnome,gtk}
  [...]
  pn  abiword-gnome  <none>         (no description available)
  pn  abiword-gtk    <none>         (no description available)

An `apt-get remove' similarly reports that those packages aren't
installed. Is my apt DB corrupt? How could it have gotten to this
state?

Note I am able to install sid abiword{,-common,-plugins} manually via
dpkg, just not through apt.

I'm running testing, but all gnome packages are from sid.

advTHANKSance for any hints!

-Lex