Re: nautilus a virus ??

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 22:13, Ryan Verner wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2003 20:50:22 +0100 Kenneth Johansson <ken@kenjo.org> wrote:
>
> > I never been a fan of nautilus but after the latest update from unstable
> > I hate it.
>
> You running an nvidia card with the nvidia binaries?

yes

> Latest ones made nautilus *really really really* slow for me, downgrading to
> 3193 (afaik) solved a hell of a lot of problems.
>
> And it isn't horrible - you can get it to display icons in 'compact' view at
> 50% or 75%, which means a lot of icons on the screen at once indeed.  If you
> think its slow, just stop it trying to preview sound/image files.  Its just
> as fast as any of the alternatives (windows explorer, KDE konqueror) on my
> machine, folders open instantly.

I have used it it's just that I do not believe in the concept of having
icons on the desktop(background/root) so I have never had it draw the
desktop. Having icons there is just plain stupid then I have to move or
minimize the app I'm working in just to start another, why would I want
to do that ?

Then even if you configure it to be in the fastest possible
configuration I think it is slow my win200 in wmware displays my home
directory faster over smb than nautilus dose using nfs. Then it can't
even scroll the display without flickering. It just feels slow.

I always use list view and even using 25% on the icon size I get very
large amount of unused space in between lines. And I would not mind
having a list view that works like the one in windows. Nautilus list
view is like the detail view in windows.

And no I'm not a windows user I even use linux at work I hardly ever use
windows but the file browser is fast and dose exactly what you want (in
classic mode that is).

I still use mc in a terminal if I want to do things that is not simple
to do from the command line but I was hoping that nautilus would improve
to the point that I could dump mc.

> You're lucky that this list seems to have a lot of helpful people on it -
> on other lists I'm on, you'd be a pile of ash after the ton of flaming you'd
> get ;-)

No problem I expected it. I do not normally write like that but this was
just to much, gnome is getting worse no better. They take away a lot of
good options and don't put in any replacement.

I think it's time for a --disable-moron-mode on most of the gnome stuff
so people can get back some of the configuration that was possible
before.