Re: fontilus and GDK_USE_XFT

On Jan 7, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> This is a likely annoying and mostly unrelated question, but why are
> the packages called libgtk2.0_2.2* (or libglib2.0_2.2*, etc.) - it
> seems silly to me to declare the package the 2.0 variant, but at
> version 2.2...

Version 2.2 is the latest version of GTK+ that uses the GTK+2.0 API/ABI.
It is fully compatible with GTK+ 2.0.  The package names stay the same
because programs that use on those packages will still work with the new
version 2.2 and shouldn't need to change their dependencies.

The packages are called libgtk2.0-0 (instead of just libgtk2-0) because
the next version of GTK+ may be numbered 2.4 and be incompatible with
the current version.  Then you would have some packages depending on
libgtk2.0 and others depending on libgtk2.4.