Re: non-western font support in gnome/gtk

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 07:05, Miles Bader wrote:
> [please CC me on any replies, as I'm not subscribed to this mailing list.]
>
> I'm trying out using a different locale now, with LANG=ja_JP.eucJP (set
> from gdm).
>
> Emacs and mozilla deal fine with this, but all the gnome stuff (I'm
> using debian unstable, so it's basically gnome2) freaked out -- the text
> in menus, label, etc., now all appear as a series of little boxes with
> hex numbers inside.  It seems that it found appropriate translated text
> to use, but is not displaying it correctly.
>
> I'm not sure whether I'm need to use an `all unicode' font for this
> stuff to work or not (i.e., as opposed to emacs, etc, which can use
> different fonts for different character sets), so I tried changing the
> standard font using the gnome menu's font preferences dialogue (I had to
> guess where it was though, since all the menu text is garbled now :-) I
> went through all the fonts it listed, and none seemed to work (I've got
> quite a few fonts installed -- including the `MS core fonts' -- although
> gnome2 apparently limits me to using truetype fonts).
>
> So I'm not sure what to try next, or even whether this is a bug or not
> (or what package to report it against).  Any pointers?

I used that config file for Xft:
http://www.hadess.net/files/configs/hadess.XftConfig

installed all the font packages mentioned at the top, and used
jp_JP.UTF-8 as the locale.

And it worked:
http://www.hadess.net/files/shots/04-07-2002.6.jpg

Enjoy

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault