Re: gnome2+woody+NFS

This one time, at band camp, Antoine Jacoutot said:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not quite sure it is the right list for that, but I though I would give a try.
> I'm using Woody+Gnome2 (from  deb http://people.debian.org/~kov/debian woody
> gnome2; as explained at http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html).
> I think there's a problem with the Nautilus2 package and NFS.
> I use autofs+NIS+NFS so I get my /home mounted over NFS on a server, but
> it is almost not usuable on the desktop since Nautilus crashes all the
> time (when browsing/previewing a folder, right clicking on a text
> file......) --> meaning it freezes the machine totally (the only thing
> left to do is the Magic SysrKey; nothing in the logs).
> This behaviour does not occur with konqueror nor Nautilus1 nor Nautilus2
> from SID, so I really think there must be a problem with this package.
>
> If you have any idea how to solve this, please let me know, I'd be very
> happy to use Gnome2... (Nautilus1 is SO SLLOOWWW).
>
> Best regards.
>
> Antoine

I don't know the solution to your problem, but I do remember seeing that
there were locking issues with an NFS mounted /home and GNOME2.  If you
search the archives of this list, there may be a solution.  It may be
that using a later version of NFS, or disabling locking will fix the
problem, although I don't think disabling locking sounds like a good
idea.

|  Stephen Gran                  | If the very old will remember, the very |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | young will listen.   -- Chief Dan       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | George                                  |