Re: [desktop] why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 03:20:49PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Miles Bader"/>
>
> > I'm confused -- why do you say `No' when the rest of what you write seems
> > to agree with what was said?
> >
> > That is, isn't vFolder/.desktop a _mechanism_, with which the debian menu
> > structure could be conveniently displayed by Gnome/KDE (replacing the
> > normal Gnome/KDE menu structure)?
>
> No, if Debian implements the vFolder spec, then the Debian desktop entries
> will be merged in with the GNOME and KDE menus. Replacing those structures
> (when their apps install correct .desktop files already) will just frustrate
> users of those environments. The implementation and structure is already
> solved there, so you don't need to worry about it.

So we are supposed to throw the debian menu system aside, and use the
freedesktop stuff as replacement ? And all other WMs have to adapt ?

(BTW, the .vfolder stuff is the one that made all the menu entries
disappear when i upgraded last time, right ?)

Friendly,

Sven Luther