Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 12:59:39AM +0100, Robert McQueen scribbled:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 08:52:39AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Do not make user preferences as an escape from actually making a decision.
> >
> > Surely working with the freedesktop.org vFolder standard and providing menus
> > for non desktop-affiliated software by default is infinitely more useful to
> > your users than yet another option (especially one that sounds so violent;
> > no, I do not wish to flatten my OS, thank you).
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > - Jeff
>
> I was thinking about this. While people sit around pontificating on how
> to make the menu system better, there is actually a standard which does
> this all for us. The vfolder system allows you to specify general
> categories which display in a way determined by the application in
> question. GNOME2 and KDE3 already do it - RedHat added categories to
> the vfolder files to distinguish X and terminal applications, and we can
> extend this and make good use of it here. The vfolder system is flexible
> and powerful.
While it does provide the required level of flexibility and power, it will
not define the menu layout for us - and that's what we are debating upon.
Not how to do it technically, but what to put, where and why (or why not). I
guess it's too early for technical discussions about how to do it.

regards,

marek