Re: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks

> i know for myself, and to a much greater degree, for the people i support,
> it is counter-productive to have to search into the menu tree to find
> tasks.  i don't like that some items are buried under debian folders.

I wholeheartedly agree. The 'Debian' sub directories have often left me
wondering if I ever actually install some piece of software. Separating Gnome
and KDE applications would make the situation even more confusing.

(Don't get me wrong, though. It's really nice that all the apps *are* there.
If only KDE apps appeared in K-menu, it would be much worse than the current
way of having the Debian dirs.)

The only case were subfoldering by UI flavor *could* be useful, IMHO, is GUI
vs. console applications. For example, hardly anyone wants to run tkwish or
even joe from the menu. I could be wrong of course, and don't think
separating menus even that way would be absolutely necessary.

A nice solution could be to let the user decide according to which criteria
the system should order the folders (and of course let them *easily* reorder
them, but that's not really a Debian issue). Unfortunately, I guess it would
require more metadata than is currently available from the packages?

> if nothing else, hear this plea for gnome and kde to work together... at
> least in debian.

I sign your plea.

- Jarno