gnome-terminal: can't change font or font size

Last night I realized that I wasn't using the Gnome2 packages
without the 2 appended at the end, so I upgraded my experimental
packages to get current.  I also enabled anti-aliased fonts per the
discussion about that by adding GDK_USE_XFT=1 to /etc/environment.
Now I get a large fixed-width as the font for gnome-terminal.  When
I select other fonts from the drop down provided in the config for
gnome-terminal, the text in all terminal windows flickers, but the
font doesn't change.

galeon does seem to be using a slightly different font too, but I
can't really tell what.  I think it's just a scaling difference.
The upgrade to X 4.2.1 did not seem to affect it, just updating to
the newest gnome2 packages.

Using gconf-editor to poke the font didn't help any.  Same results
as using the font select box in the gnome-terminal configure
screens.

Please CC me on replies as I'm not on the mailing list.

Thanks,
-Chris