Re: Gnome2 hangs for 30 secs in startup.

David Megginson <david@megginson.com> writes:

> Christian Marillat writes:

[...]

>  > This is already the case. See /usr/bin/gnome-wm

> That, in fact, turns out to be the problem.  No amount of messing with
> gconf keys or setting of environment variables fixed the delay for me
> (although it was closer to 10 seconds than 30).  Simply renaming

>   /usr/bin/gnome-wm

>   /usr/bin/gnome-wm.SAFE

> did the trick; now metacity starts instantly, without the delay.  On a
> quick inspection, I cannot see what in the shell script was causing
> the problem.

You have nothing in ~/.gnome-errors ?

Can you do some more tests ?

In /usr/share/gnome/default.session try to replace this line :

1,RestartCommand=gnome-wm --default-wm gnome-wm --sm-client-id default1

by

1,RestartCommand=gnome-wm --default-wm x-window-manager --sm-client-id default1

Christian