Re: gdm and libpam0g?

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:28:26PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Fre, 2002-10-04 at 14:21, David Megginson wrote:
> > Before I submit a bug report, is anyone else having any success with
> > gdm in experimental?  A few days ago, it lost the ability to
> > authenticate any login.  Messages like this show up in
> > /var/log/syslog:
> >
> >   Oct  4 08:15:40 dobby gdm[1729]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_limits.so)
> >   Oct  4 08:15:40 dobby gdm[1729]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_limits.so: undefined symbol: cap_init]
> >   Oct  4 08:15:40 dobby gdm[1729]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_limits.so
> >
> > In case there was any corruption, I did an apt-get --reinstall for
> > gdm, libpam0g, and libpam-modules.  As a wild guess, I also tried
> > installing libcap1 just in case it had been omitted from the
> > dependencies.  The message is exactly the same in every case.
>
> I hope you're not using the pam stuff from experimental...

One more reason for not having gnome2 in experimental, i guess a lot of
people will just do an : apt-get -t experimental dist-upgrade or
something such, as i almost did (to see if it would work, but i
interrupted it when i saw non gnome stuff going to be installed).

BTW, what was the reason why we choosed to use experimental and not a
separate staging area ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther