Re: FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=0

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 23:54, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> > It's a compile-time option for GnomeVFS, but given that ours is compiled
> > with FAM support, it seems silly to not have it used by default. I'd
> > at least vote for a Recommends (in the libgnomevfs2-0 package), and
> > given that the fam package is only about 200k, I can't imagine anyone
> > reasonably complaining about a Depends.
>
> Well, I don't complain about the Depends itself, but I find the
> run-time footprint a bit annoying: fam depends on portmap, so we need
> to have two running processes (fam and portmap). It's starting to look
> like bloat...
>
> What are the advantages of FAM, does it make Gnome faster?

apt-cache show fam, and http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/ should answer
your questions. It doesn't make it faster, it makes it accurate.

Well, it kinda makes it faster too because it wouldn't poll hard on the
files when monitoring them...

Having portmap running is a bit useless indeed, especially on desktop
systems where fam would be just about the only daemon making use of it.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net