Re: GNOME 2.0 Alpha released

<quote who="Rob Bradford">

> The GNOME 2.0 Alpha release, codenamed "Rolig Liten
> Hattgubbe" has been released.

Hey! Stop that really-fast-Debian-hive-mind business already! I was just
about to post here. ;)

> Just a quick check on the status of the various GNOME 2 packages, and to
> make sure that people are in the position to start packaging extra/fifth
> toe etc packages that have been ported to GNOME 2.

Fifth Toe, etc., are some time away yet - we're only releasing the desktop
components thus far. (You'll find that not many of the FT apps have even
started porting; at least publically.)

> GNOME 1.4 and 2 can live side by side for say developers, but end users
> will probably not want to have to deal with the headache.

Some/most applications will *not* parallel install; I really didn't make
that clear in the release notes at all (I was referring just to the
developer platform at that stage).

I don't recommend providing gnome2 desktop packages unless we have some
funky, /opt-gross-out install location. ;)

> Some questions:
>
> * What packages still need to be created?
> * Which are just waiting for other uploads?
>
> Is anyone actually co-ordinating this?

I haven't really seen anyone taking a leadership role in GNOME packaging for
Debian - I think it would be a welcome change. I'm happy to pop my head in
with info, and to answer questions and the like, but having someone as the
'figure-head' for Debian's GNOME would be great.

Who's up for it? :)

- Jeff

--
   I must be getting old... Buying toothpaste with gel in it is no longer
                           an Absolute Necessity.