Re: What's happening with the gdm 2.4 packages?

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:12:12PM +0000, Mark Howard wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 18:18, Ryan Murray wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:15:07AM +1100, Andrew Lau wrote:
> >
> > > 2.4.12 [1] now, and could you please ask for someone to
> > > upload/maintain it for now if you're too busy to get around to it?
> >
> > It has nothing to do with being too busy to get around to it.  I'd like to see
> > the core of gnome2 building on all architectures before I muck with what may
> > be the user's only way (that they know of) to login.  Feel free to help
> > out with FTBFS bugs, such as the mips ones that require updated libtool.m4
>
> Would it be possible for you to upload gdm 2.4 packages to experimental?
> Experimental users should know of other ways to log in; when you do
> upload to unstable, the packages will have been tested in experimental,
> so there will be even more likelyhood that you won't muck up their only
> way to login.

What about simply uploading a gdm2 package to unstable, which provides
gdm ?

This way people installing it will not need to resort to experimental,
and the majority of users would still use the older gdm package.

And then later, when gdm2 becomes official, you just need to upload a
gdm package with a version number higher than the gdm2 package and we
remove gdm2 from the archive, and people having gdm2 installed will
automatically get upgraded to gdm. That is, if apt/dpkg allows that.

I suppose the gdm2 package could even be maintained by someone else, or
maybe comaintained ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther