Re: gtk2 very slow and memory hungry?

Chun Kit Edwin Lau <try_email_me@yahoo.ca> writes:
> I am not sure what problem is it?

I don't know either, but I'm pretty sure it is not the libraries. Have
you looked in .gnome-errors?

> But since I upgrade to gnome2, things are just very slow. Startup
> time for gnome-terminal (gtk2), gvim (gtk1) and galeon (gtk1) are
> much longer then it used to be. gnome-terminal in gtk1 use to take
> 1s, but now the machine freezes up for like 3s on my pentium III
> 500MHz. Same thing happen for the other gtk app. Any idea? Something
> wrong with the mixing of library?

Gnome Terminal has been rewritten completely, I think. The new version
might be slower. But overall, the desktop is actually faster in my
experience (this is on a 800 MHz PIII with 256 Mb RAM). Enabling
anti-aliasing might make it slower though.

> Also, when I check the memory usage of each application by system
> moniter in gnome2, I am supprise because X is using 91M, gnome-terminal
> is using 11.4M, gnomicu is using 10.3M, gweather is using 8.9M.  And
> most of the gnome app is using at least 5M.  Isn't this ridiculous?  I
> am sure gweather cannot use that much memory.  X is using too much
> memory too, right?  Anyone knows what's happening to my system?  Memory
> leaks?  BTW, I have 512MB RAM.

You are looking at the ordinary numbers, right? Trouble is, most of
the memory is shared. Try clicking on the extra information button.
Most of the processes take up about one Mb each when you subtract the
shared libraries.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/