Re: Keybindings in GTK/GNOME2

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 04:27:18PM +0100, Ivo Timmermans wrote:

Hey,

First post to this list.. I'll delurk even though I'm not even running
GNOME2 yet :)

> The Default key theme file is almost empty.  The Emacs one is somewhat
> helpful, but where can I find what values are accepted, and what they
> mean?

Let me start by saying I'm working in the dark as much as you are...
however, I've looked at documentation for the GtkTextView widget and its
signals, at http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkTextView.html.
I'm not sure if you've done any GTK programming, but it helps a little.

> This isn't particularly helpful, what can I do to solve this?

My guess is that it's because the "delete-from-cursor" signal for that
widget takes 2 arguments, not 3.  The prototype is:

void user_function (GtkTextView *textview, GtkDeleteType arg1, gint arg2,
                    gpointer user_data);

Ignoring the first argument (that's the widget) and the last (that's for
any programmer-supplied data), there's only 2 required args.

If you look in the other "delete-from-cursor" examples in the Emacs
theme you'll notice they all have only 2 arguments inside the
parentheses.  So drop the last arg, then try -1/0/1 for the second and
see which one (if any) does what you want.

> Another thing: I tried using <meta> here, which does not work.  How
> should I bind something using the meta (mod4) modifier?

Good question. Maybe you could always try <mod4>...

Cheers,

   Vince

--
    Vincent Ho
loki/at/internode.on.net

Every complex problem is a simple hierarchy of simple problems.