vte gnome terminal

Greetings,

I just tried the vte gnome-terminal in experimental, and (after finding that
courier 10 pitch is indeed probably the best font to use with it, thanks to
whoever pointed that out on this list) am very pleased with it except for the
following behavior:

arrow keys don't work in vim or less.  They appear to work fine for shell
history on the command line, but don't scroll the page or move the cursor in
vim or less.  This behavior doesn't happen with gnome-terminal/unstable, so I
guess vte widget is responsible.

-Joe