Re: gnome2 => gnome && GNOME on Debian page

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> From: Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
> Subject: Re: gnome2 => gnome && GNOME on Debian page
>
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 06:19:59PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 17:09, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >
> > > But you need gdm2, right ?
> >
> > To get antialiased fonts in the GDM login screen, yes.
> >
> > > Anyway i did as you told, but there was no AA fonts in gnome, so i
> > > reverted to the previous idea of modifying /etc/gdm/Session/Gnome, and
> > > it works well.
> >
> > Hmmm.  Strange.  I admit I never tried it with gdm1, but I don't see why
> > it wouldn't work.  Can someone else confirm it fails with gdm1?
>
> After a bit more experimentation, well, even with gdm2, it does not
> work.
>
> Adding it to /etc/init.d/gdm only => gives AA fonts (ugly ones, and i
> don't know how to change them) in gdm, but not gnome.
>
> Adding it to /etc/gdm/Session/Gnome only => gives AA fonts (the one i
> choose) in gnome, but not gdm.
>
> Are you sure there is not another place where you specified it ?
>
> And i confirm, that the problem with gnome freezing has gone away when i
> did remove my .gconf. Sorry for all the annoyance, i thought i did test
> it yesterday, but apparently, it was not so. That said, i still think it
> is a bug, and not something that can be shrugged away with saying it is
> a problem with my configuration, or you will get many many angry users
> reporting bugs once gnome2 hits unstable, let alone testing.
>
> (I still have the old .gconf around, does it interest anyone if i do a
> diff or something to see what changed ?).

A diff won't help you much I'm afraid... Libxml2 seems to lack the no-
tion of the concept of newlines ;). That apart, gconf also includes
some kind of stamps (timestamps or something?) so you'll have to send
your entire .gconf dir if anyone is interested.

Or we create a tool that uses gconf or libxml2 to make a diff of the
2 dirs.

> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Kind regards,