gdm and libpam0g?

Before I submit a bug report, is anyone else having any success with
gdm in experimental?  A few days ago, it lost the ability to
authenticate any login.  Messages like this show up in
/var/log/syslog:

  Oct  4 08:15:40 dobby gdm[1729]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_limits.so)
  Oct  4 08:15:40 dobby gdm[1729]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_limits.so: undefined symbol: cap_init]
  Oct  4 08:15:40 dobby gdm[1729]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_limits.so

In case there was any corruption, I did an apt-get --reinstall for
gdm, libpam0g, and libpam-modules.  As a wild guess, I also tried
installing libcap1 just in case it had been omitted from the
dependencies.  The message is exactly the same in every case.

Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, david@megginson.com, http://www.megginson.com/